A Personal Insurance Update
Do you think you could create a list of every household item without being in your home? If you have a loss that is exactly what you may have to do. Think about every piece of furniture, every book, shoe, dish and piece of electronic equipment. Now, ask yourself these questions, “How much money are all of my belongings worth”? “What would it cost me to replace everything I own”?
The fall is a great time to create a home inventory, because the kids are off to school and the holidays are still a few months away. Here are some great tips to help you create your own home inventory.
How to Create a Home Inventory
Creating a home inventory is actually simple these days with all the technology. Here are a few tips.
- Create a digital record of every room. While you are videoing, describe each item and identify a replacement cost.
- There are great online resources if you want to create a hard copy of the inventory.
- It may be useful to categorize clothing. For example, 10 pairs of men’s pants, 12 tee-shirts, 6 pairs of Nike shoes, etc.
- Make sure you focus on high end items like jewelry, guns, computers and art work.
- If you have expensive art it would be good to have it appraised.
- Update the inventory from time to time.
- Keep the inventory in a safe or at a secondary location. Even store it in the cloud.
Whether it’s your flat-screen TV or a wedding ring, your possessions are important to you. Keeping track of your belongings with a home inventory can help save you hassle and money if the unexpected occurs.
A well-written homeowner’s policy will pay to replace any of your personal property that is destroyed in a fire or other disaster. Having an inventory will allow the insurance company to completely replace items that were damaged or lost.
Davidson Stewart Morelock Independent Insurance Group LLC (DSM) was formed in 2008 (Originally Stewart Morelock Insurance, est. 2005) by insurance professionals with over 50 years of combined experience in the property & casualty insurance industry….experience includes; senior officers of regional insurance companies & wholesalers, reinsurance brokers, personal & commercial insurance production agents, agency owners, underwriting managers & agency directors. DSM is directly appointed with all major insurance carriers and brokers, and has the capability to place virtually all lines of business and personal lines insurance.
DSM agencies are members of Trusted Choice. Trusted Choice is an agency recommendation engine. They represent Independent Insurance Agencies that agree to deliver exceptional client experiences. By maintaining standards that exceed expectations, Trusted Choice agencies put the needs of their clients first. Because they’re independent, they’re not restricted to the limited products provided by one single insurance carrier. As an Independent Agency recommended by Trusted Choice, DSM works for you, not for the insurance company.